Battery Storage Fires Put A Different Face on “Green Energy”
Mark Sertoff NaturalGasNOW
Retired Science/Technology Educator and Musician
[Editor’s Note: Battery storage and the risks it involves are the dirty little secret regarding “green energy.” The fires are hellish and are a clear and present danger to all.]
Due to the intermittent nature of renewable energy, no generation when the wind doesn’t blow and the sun doesn’t shine, battery storage/backup is presented as the solution. Renewables have an output of about 20% of nameplate capacity. Disregarding the huge cost and the fact that lithium ion batteries are rated at only 4 hours discharge, many battery storage/backup sites are being proposed.
One, Key Capture Energy of Albany, NY, is on Pulaski Road west of Town Line Road, in Huntington, near residences. It is near a Long Island Power Authority (LIPA) substation, so interconnection is not a problem. But, the issues are still very concerning:
- Lithium ion battery storage units unexpectedly and spontaneously explode and catch fire. This fire is self-fueling and unextinguishable. Fatal, toxic clouds of poisons are emitted and fire companies need sealed oxygen breathing apparatus to fight the fires. Residential areas near the fire must be evacuated. Battery materials include nickel, graphite, lithium, aluminum, copper, steel, iron, manganese, cobalt, all of which poison the land and drinking water below.
- The site is over an Article 7 Deep Recharge Aquifer Protection Zone. That means this is a designated area where our drinking water is recharged and there must not be hazardous materials present to contaminate our water supply. Lithium poisonous runoff from a destructive battery storage fire goes into the ground to endanger our drinking water.
- Gov. Hochul, recognizing this problem, has convened a panel to address the battery storage fire problem. There have been 3 battery storage fires in New York State and elsewhere, too.
- The site is near the Huntington Landfill laced with methane, the Iroquois Natural Gas Pipeline and the animal shelter.
- With China, Russia, India and others opening many reliable, cost-effective and clean fossil-fueled and nuclear generators, all our efforts of renewable generation, with their negatives of high cost, unreliability, rare earth needs from child labor and hostile countries, intermittency, huge land and sea bed needs, destruction of sea life and flying birds like eagles, terns, bats and more, all our efforts of destroying our current, reliable generation are wasted and weaken us.
This is a revenue-generating plan that wants to cash in on taxpayer subsidies, ignores the life-or-death safety concerns of the nearby residents, potentially poisoning our sole source of drinking water, and endangers fire fighters. It is a band aid for faulty, unreliable renewable electricity generation and endangers our health and safety. This proposal should be denied.
Editor’s Note: Mark’s concerns and observations are anything but frivolous, as a recent battery storage fire in Wallkill, New York illustrates. And, here’s more.
The post Battery Storage Fires Put A Different Face on “Green Energy” appeared first on Natural Gas Now. This post appeared first on Natural Gas Now.