The NESE pipeline project is about metro area and union jobs. It’s about continuing to clean NYC air, providing gas to public housing and growing economies.
Look, I dearly wish it had a more exciting name that didn’t look like an acronym for the Loch Ness Monster, but Williams’ Northeast Supply Enhancement (NESE Pipeline) project, is a $1 billion investment in the natural gas infrastructure network of Pennsylvania, New York and New Jersey and, as such it’s extraordinarily important.
Why? Because it will help move Pennsylvania gas to market and continue the revitalization now underway in Northeast Pennsylvania. It will help continue New York City’s initiative of upgrading boilers to burn clean natural gas instead of heavy oil and extend that benefit to public housing. It will provide jobs in gas production, gas delivery, pipeline development and across the board in a New York City metro area that needs gas to itself grow and revitalize. But, all this faces a major regulatory hurdle in New York, and now is the time to speak up for the NESE Pipeline. Now is the time to TAKE ACTION.
The New York State Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC) is holding public hearings on Tuesday, February 26 and Wednesday, March 6 to collect comments regarding a critical water quality permit. Industry opponents are expected to make a strong showing, so it is important that we stand up and support this project that will:
- Create more than 3,000 jobs for local union laborers,
- Keep the gas flowing for economic development as ConEd and others enact moratoriums on connections to fight Cuomo’s pipeline blockade,
- Make gas available to convert old oil burning boilers in public housing projects to clean natural gas,
- Make gas available to continue the conversion of other heavy oil burning boilers to clean natural gas that has lowered emissions of all types and saved up to 600 lives per year attributable to asthma, while also reducing greenhouse gas emissions as well,
- Maintain the annual savings in the costs of heating homes as a result of the availability of inexpensive natural gas, and
- Continue the revitalization of rural areas of Pennsylvania where natural gas is produced.
Click below to learn more or to RSVP now:
If you can’t attend, you can TAKE ACTION NOW to support Northeast Supply Enhancement – Sign the support petition that the project will submit to the NYSDEC before the public comment period ends on March 15.
Millions of residents across the Northeast are already facing rising energy costs due to the region’s insufficient energy infrastructure, and policies being pursued by elected officials such as New York Governor Andrew Cuomo are about to cause a full-blown energy crisis if something isn’t done. We cannot let this happen.
Please share these hearings and the support petition with your network, and help secure a strong economic and energy future for New York and the entire Northeast. Do it now, in fact!
This post appeared first on Natural Gas Now.