Iran retaliates the killing of Qasem Soleimani by firing more than a dozen ballistic missiles against U.S.-led coalition forces in Iraq, Kallanish Energy reports.
The attacks hit two U.S. airbases in Erbil and Al-Asad, at about 1:30 a.m. local time (22:30 GMT on Tuesday), the Pentagon said.
Iranian state TV reported the attacks killed 80 people, but said this information had not been confirmed.
Other reports suggest there has been no casualties and that the U.S. forces were aware and prepared for the strikes.
U.S. President Donald Trump said at 2:45 a.m. GMT “all is well” and that authorities were assessing if there were any casualties.
“So far, so good! We have the most powerful and well equipped military anywhere in the world, by far! I will be making a statement tomorrow morning,” Trump said in his Twitter account.
Iran’s Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif said Tehran “took and concluded proportionate measures in self-defense.”
“We do not seek escalation or war, but will defend ourselves against any aggression,” he added.
Brent crude futures rose more than 5% to briefly reach $72 a barrel, before paring gains on indications of de-escalation.
Thomas Juneau, associate professor at Ottawa University’s School of Public and International Affairs, believe Iran has gambled the attack would not trigger a U.S. response as “Iran absolutely wants to avoid an escalation it knows it would lose.”
“I wouldn’t even be surpised if Iran signaled this to the U.S. through some backchannel,” he added.
This post appeared first on Kallanish Energy News.