Kurdistan’s first gas capture and injection project has reached the one billion cubic feet (Bcf) gas injection milestone, after commissioning in mid-2020, Kallanish Energy reports.
The $110 million Peshkabir project is expected to reduce annual emissions from DNO’s operated production by over 300,000 tonnes of CO2 equivalent. It also halves the average carbon intensity of DNO’s production to an average of 7 kgCO2e/Boe.
Global oil company members of the Oil and Gas Climate Initiative (OGCI) are aiming to reduce the carbon intensity of their aggregated upstream oil and gas operations to between 20-21 kgCO2e/Boe by 2025, from a collective baseline of 23 kgCO2e/Boe in 2017.
The project prevents 20 million cubic meters per day (Mmcm/d) of gas from being flared at the Peshkabir field. This gas is now gathered, treated and transported to the Tawke field by an 80km pipeline. There the fuel is injected for storage and reservoirs pressure recharging.
According to DNO, the gas capture and injection project reduced flaring in the Peshkabir field by 75% and increased the recoverable volume at the Tawke field by 15-80 million barrels of oil.
“Gas injection and the associated carbon capture and storage is proven, practical and potentially profitable,” said Bijan Mossavar-Rahmani, DNO’s chairman. “Our project was completed on schedule and on budget notwithstanding the challenges of working in what is still a frontier oil and gas operating environment and the obstacles posed in the late stages by the Covid-19 pandemic,” he added.
Construction started in mid-2018 and commissioning took place in June 2020.
DNO operates the Tawke license containing the onshore Tawke and Peshkabir fields with a 75% interest; partner Genel Energy holds the remaining 25%.
This post appeared first on Kallanish Energy News.